Tuesday 13 April 2010

Silver Surfer...

Because I have a dog, I find myself going to the beach all the time. (Well, because I have a dog and that I live near to the beach...)

There's really not that much to photograph in the beach, after a few visits. I mean, if you take the natural scenery, how many ways can you really photograph sand? Or how many views of the little plants can you have?

But people on the beach, doing stuff, that's always something to shoot. However, as I go to the beach more frequently in the winter, there's really not that many people to shoot. But, I digress.

I like this photo, for three reasons (I may think of more reasons, I don't know. As I get older, things start to blur).

1) It was taken at "magic hour". Really, pictures taken at dusk, or very late in the afternoon are almost fool-proof. There is not way you can really mess a picture that much at that time. It's my favourite time ever. Too bad it's not that long. I could shoot in this light, all day long, except... well, it's not really possible.

2) It has something in it that, although it's clearly a person, is not readily apparent what the person is doing.

3) It's a sillouette picture and the ones that keep track of this blog know how I just love a sillouette picture!

In reallity, this is a guy that's been doing kite surfing. He is holding the board in its left hand and in the right (out of picture) he's holding the "wing" (it's like a parachute thingy).

However, it could be something else entirely! It could be that the guy is really little and he's holding a big sized dog, or it's the dog that it's really big (like house-big).

I like this duality in pictures. Good pictures really fuel up something. It could be your imagination, libido, will to travel, whatever it is. It should fire you up.

It's what I aim to do. Fuel up people to do something, to feel something, to imagine what could be. If I take all those pictures and read all those books and experiment with my camera; my goal is to move.

This picture was taken in the beach, with a DSLR.

PS: Sorry for not updating this blog for so long... I may return to posting photos, if you really want to.



No comments: